Author Topic: THe End of Trance??  (Read 5853 times)

R2r

• View Profile
    • Email
THe End of Trance??
« on: April 05, 2006, 02:35:38 pm »
What do U think, what's your opinion??

honestphil

THe End of Trance??
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 06:56:43 pm »
its less popular, all you get in the shops are remixes of remixes. There's still lots of good new stuff though but only really available on the net. Armin Van Buuren seems to play lots of it and he can can make a good living out of it, so people must still want it. Trance is pure, uncontaminated and THE original dance music and gives me a great uplifting feeling. Nothing else comes close.

BrendenL

• Party107 Resident DJ
    • View Profile
    • http://www.brendenlabonte.com
    • Email
THe End of Trance??
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 09:01:41 pm »
lately it's been like 2004 in my opinion. last few weeks has been flooded with great releases.
Altered Reality on Party107.com every Thursday 8-9PM EST

My Site

kai

• View Profile
    • Email
THe End of Trance??
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 08:20:50 pm »
trance >>> infinity and forever

Mydnyte

• Party107 Resident DJ
    • View Profile
    • Email
THe End of Trance??
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 04:04:27 pm »
In America, trance was noticed when Delerium - Silence (DJ Tiesto's In Search of Sunrise remix) came out.  That's when trance all of the sudden became pseudo-mainstream, and Tiesto gained his huge American following.  Then a bunch of Britney-Spears-loving, N-Sync-humping bastards decided that trance meant DJ Sammy and Ian van Dahl, so that's what they played on the radio.  Golly gee, trance in America didn't do so well.  

What America has now is some trance on the coasts and that's about it - all the rest is house (talking electronica only here).  There's a good-sized underground following, but most people hear "trance" and laugh, deriding it as "thud, thud, thud, thud" (think Strongbad), or have no idea what you are talking about.  There aren't really any quality American-based trance labels around (Perfecto might be an exception, but other than that its things like Nettwerk America, which just markets Nettwerk's stuff here).  When people in America look for an electronica DJ...heck, I ran into this just the other day.  I was at my local vinyl store when I guy came in looking for a DJ to spin for a couple hours.  I spoke up: "If you're looking for some trance, like prog, hard prog, chilled, whatever, I'm good."  Reply: "Hell no man, screw that trance shit.  We're looking for some house."

Trance in America has gotten a huge kick in the teeth, and it doesn't seem to be getting back up.  What America really needs is a truly all-star American DJ to work from the ground up and get popular WITHOUT going to the European scene.  In trance, that's a bit tough (understatement!).  What I've been doing since high school is getting trance out there, getting people to hear it, and I'd like to think I've at least done something, since my little CD series has sold (errr...been donated to) over 1000 copies.

Can you tell I've thought a lot about this and that it really kills me?

Laters!
Myd

Christopher Manik

• Party107 Resident DJ
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Christopher Mani
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/3976006
    • Email
THe End of Trance??
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 03:32:28 pm »
Yeah m8.. agree with all you have said....

I am in the same boat as you... just trying to showcase people EDM, specifically good Prog Trance.....

Just Keep it going ... keep at it.. one day Trance will stand right back up and kick the American Music Scene in the face...

Chris

Jake

• View Profile
    • http://www.jakeencinas.com
    • Email
THe End of Trance??
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 04:12:32 pm »
What's Trance?

j/k

dikey

• View Profile
    • Email
Opinion
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 03:25:17 am »
to Mydnyte.

Good post, with trance history, though I don`t really understand you, why do you need to bring trance in to people? So it would be like in Holland, where trance is like pop? I like trance cause it is and exeptional music, listened only by people with something in their hearts or brains :) You can ask your self, why do you like trance. Course you can say, "I like the beats, the breakdowns etc.." but in the end, you`ll say, "There`s something in me, that makes me love that music".
So people who listen to trance (I`ll say trance instead of trance, progressive trance and progressive house), have something that others do not have.
Some examples: Can you make a person love, who cannot love? (idiotic example, I know :) )
Ok, here`s a better one:
If you make a person, who is afraid of the hight, jump with a paraschute from 1000m, how`d he feel, when he lands? Apathy, chain reactions in the stomach, feeling that he is never doing it again, don`t forget I`m talking about a person who is afraid of the hight, not about a healthy one.
So the idea is, you can`t make a person love trance if he hasn`t got something in him that make s him love it. If you give trance to the person without something, he will turn out to be a paraschutist that is afraid of hight, hope you get my idead concidering my antiperfect english. :)  
This means that trance listenes are unites in some kind of society that is different from any others. If everyone would listen to trance it`d become pop - popular, but even in my darkest dream I cannot emagine that... :)) cruel, huh?
So Mydnyte, think that we are unique and exeptional, that`s all.

P.S. I don`t say, that we ARE unique, let`s just think that way, and make other think that about us.

to R2r
Trance is going nowhere while you listen and support it. You stop - it ends.
imo: there may be a slight problem with trance. There are less and less of new ideas, sounds, improvisation. Though comparing to any other style - trance and progressive have the most options how to make a track, this includes sounds, effects, even lenght of the track (would you listen a pop track for 7-9 minutes? or would you rather listen to a 3-4 mute radio edit of a good trance tune? think this example shows it all, though if you do not belive me, you can compare with different music styles :) ). So trance, is trance..
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 03:29:03 am by dikey »

corbett

• Party107 Resident DJ
    • View Profile
    • Email
THe End of Trance??
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 03:48:33 am »
Trance never did hit it big in America (thankfully or else we'd have thousands of kids producing even more crap to flood the pool of crap already being made). Now Europe has moved on and so the venues for trance are fewer. Years ago many DJs either got bored of the quality in releases, got bored of the genre, wanted to experiment, were pressured by their fan base to change (ie if you want to keep DJing play this or you're out of a job) or got caught up trying to slowly merge EDM with American pop music to create something the public drones out here want (haha kidding, to each their own, most people who have never heard any EDM think its 'all techno' and 'all raves' so I try not to stereotype 'popular music' listeners either, as I enjoy some of it myself). Trance is not dead, but there is a lack of true quality, and there's not a lot of support for it from the popular names. Take a step back to 98 when you had all the biggest names pumping it out. Oakenfolds, ATBs, Paul van Dyks, Ferry Corstens, Carl Coxes (even though Cox wasn't full on trance as far as I know). Household DJ names were playing it, and spread it. Now everyone can produce as the software has improved and is available (pirating) in greater abundance, leading to a huge load of music being produced. As stated before, for various reasons a lot of DJs have changed styles, and with so many new genres and so many new DJs (no more SUPER DJs, its a few superstars and a lot of mediocre names, and by this I mean like I said before, years ago it was all about the big names, sure there were tonnes of great DJs, but only a few were renown because the genre had little support outside of Europe and small pockets in the world - and by mediocre names I mean you got your Andy Moors and such that unless you listen to this music you have no clue who they are... even my friends who don't listen to a drop of EDM know who Paul van Dyk or Armin are).

So trance is not dead, and never really will die. Its just not as upfront now, its dilluted down by the sheer volume being produced (which has cut down because so much of it is sub-par and even though there are seemingly more labels and sub-labels than ever, a lot of it doesn't get signed.. and DJs are tired of sifting through the growing heap, and so you get a lot of people copying ASOTs and such) and dilluted further by the growing number of sub-genres, fusing genres and experimentations and the disparate paths being developed (like the minimalistic movement, and the movement into electro and house that I've been playing for a year now).

I think in a couple of years things will swing back a bit, but long gone are the days from 97-02, the Magiks and Creamfields where you would hear Gouryella and such blasting out with uplifting serenity, filling your senses on a sunny bright day.
Progressive Transmission - Every Wednesday!
5pm PST / 8pm EST / 1am GMT (Wed/Thurs)

jorge .

• View Profile
    • Email
THe End of Trance??
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 04:04:58 pm »
Never 100% trance all  life :headbang:  :eek:  :headbang:

TRANCE MY LIFE